Heaven is the root of lightness.
Tranquility masters recklessness.
Therefore the Sage travels all day
careful to abandon nothing.
Even in the face of luxury,
like the swallow he flies undistracted.
Why is the King with 10,000 chariots
reckless with his kingdom?
When lightness loses its root,
recklessness loses the kingdom.
*Translation by LU Wenlong & Keith Wayne Brown, ©2013.
- Daodejing 25 (keithwaynebrown.com)
- Daodejing 27 (keithwaynebrown.com)
- Radiant Living (keithwaynebrown.com)
- Unstucking ‘stuckness’ 1 (andrewjtaggart.com)
- Anarchist themes 6th century BC (anarchyxx.wordpress.com)
- “The Dream of Life” by Chuang Tzu (300dayjourney.wordpress.com)
- Why We Need Chinese Philosophy (uselesstree.typepad.com)
- 2012 Dao Best Essay Winner (warpweftandway.com)