Thanks to my friend Rose K. for pointing out this discussion at the Language Log. All of the comments are worth the read, and for once are not a collection of idiocy that makes a person regret going down into the comment section.
The illustration in the online version of the paper is even more nakedly partisan (or, some would say, accurate)… [see picture above]
With the overall approval rating of the U.S. Congress approaching single digits, and that of the national Republican Party apparently heading in that direction as well, this headline is likely to have a certain Luntzian value.
- Language Log partners with Lexicon Valley on Slate (languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu)
- Opinion on the Government Shutdown (the3123.wordpress.com)
- Furloughed Government EPA Workers Protest In Denver (denver.cbslocal.com)
- 5 Fun Facts: It’s All Greek To Me (neatorama.com)
- Government Shutdown? At Least Social Media Still Works (theloveoftech.wordpress.com)