Knowing power, abiding in modesty;
like a stream under Heaven.
Like a stream under Heaven-
never abandoning eternal virtue,
returning at last to purity.
Knowing white, abiding in black;
like this order under Heaven.
Like this order under Heaven-
never losing eternal virtue,
returning at last to infinity.
Knowing honor, abiding in humility;
like a canyon under Heaven.
Like a canyon under Heaven-
full of eternal virtue,
returning at last to simplicity.
Simplicity distributes all things.
The Sage uses this to become leader,
hence a perfect system is indivisible.
*Translation by LU Wenlong & Keith Wayne Brown, ©2013.
- Daodejing 27 (keithwaynebrown.com)
- Daodejing 29 (keithwaynebrown.com)
- a timely conversation (randalldeanscott.wordpress.com)
- Beauty of a Soul: A Short Course… (andrewjtaggart.com)
- Sacred Night (rlbk75.wordpress.com)
- Review: How Should One Live?: Comparing Ethics in Ancient China and Greco-Roman Antiquity (warpweftandway.com)