Just thought I would share a successful tweak to an online recipe that I decided to bake. This is my Lemon-Lime Poppy Seed Muffin with Coconut flour, coconut sugar, agave syrup, and pea protein to make it more diabetic and low-carb friendly. Good as a desert, a snack, or just after a workout.
120 grams coconut flour (level measurement, not heaping)
60 grams Pea Protein Vanilla -OR- Chocolate flavor (level measurement, not heaping)
50 grams coconut sugar
30 grams poppy seeds
5 grams salt
5 grams baking soda
6 eggs, at room temperature
100ml agave -OR- maple syrup, at room temperature
60 grams Avocado or Olive Oil (Coconut oil MUST be brought to room temperature)
45 ml freshly squeezed lemon
45 ml freshly squeezed Lime
5 ml vanilla extract
Zest of 1/2 lemon
Zest of 1/2 lime
CREAMY LEMON GLAZE
40 grams Coconut/Peanut Spread
20 ml agave -OR- maple syrup
5 grams fresh lemon juice
5 grams fresh lime juice
5 to 15 ml water, as needed to thin
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a standard muffin tin with 12 baking cups.
- Make sure your agave syrup and eggs are at room temperature. You can place the eggs in a bowl of warm tap water for a few minutes to help warm them up quickly. This will ensure that your muffin batter will be runny, like traditional muffin batter, and will easily mix and pour into the muffin cups. (IMPORTANT: If you substitute coconut oil, be sure you do this, otherwise the coconut oil may harden and won’t mix evenly into the batter.)
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and make sure they are thoroughly mixed up together to evenly spread out the salt, sugar, and baking soda.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together. The whisk should help break up any clumps, making the batter very smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 baking cups.
- Bake at 350ºF until the centers are firm to the touch and the edges are lightly golden, about 22 to 25 minutes.
- Cool completely before topping with the icing.
- To prepare the Creamy Lemon Icing, stir together the organic nut butter, syrup of choice, and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth. Add warm water 5ml at a time, as needed to thin the icing to your liking. Drizzle it over the top of each muffin just before serving.
- Leftover muffins can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Delicious lemon and lime goody high in protein and low in glycemic impact.Tweet